Then I heard him tell me something better was coming, he was very specific and I was so excited. However everything seem to go downhill from there. I felt like I was out of my depth, I felt exposed and like I was going to drown. I even had a melt down.
Waiting for the manifestation of what God promised me has been tough…I won’t even lie. I have wondered if indeed I heard God right or if I conjured it up in my head. I have tried to look for other ways to get out of this waiting period but every other plan has been thwarted and caused more heartache. Right now I have surrendered to his Will and believe that he will make all things beautiful in it’s time.
You are probably in a similar situation. God gave you a word concerning an area in your life and you have been waiting. Sometimes you get discouraged, other days you prod along hoping that today will be the day when it finally happens.
Tips to wait patiently
I would like to share with you 5 tips to help you hold on and not get anxious when you are waiting for the manifestation of what God promised you.
- Write down the promise and the initial confirmation you got. Anytime your faith wanes, go back and read what you wrote to ginger your faith.
- Anytime you feel doubt, ask God for reassurance. I don’t think God gets annoyed with us when we come to him to reassure us that He indeed spoke. Gideon kept asking for confirmation and God obliged him.
- Ask Him if there is anything you need to do to prepare while you wait. Preparation time is required so ask God to tell you what to do to prepare. And when he tells you… obey. It might sound silly or inconsequential but everything God asks you to do is significant.
- Be careful who you share this promise with. It is likely that no one was there when God gave you the promise or the instruction. So you need to guard what you heard carefully so you don’t get discouraged by “helpful” people who suggest plan A, B, C or Z to you. Have a few trusted friends you can talk too when you feel discouraged. That way anytime you feel like going off course they can be a voice of reason.
- Use your Imagination to “see” your promise happening. Hope rises up through our imagination. So make good use the power of your imagination to visualise the promise actually happening. If you can’t see it, you can’t have it. Give thanks to God because it is coming.
Just because it is taking longer than you expect to see the manifestation of what God said does not mean you heard Him wrong.
God usually gives confirmation: it could be the peace you feel in your heart despite the challenges, or a word of encouragement from someone, or a scripture that jumps out at you. Whatever the case is be rest assured that it will happen and apply the tips above while you wait.
Remember this scripture:
“God chose things the world considers foolish in order to shame those who think they are wise. And he chose things that are powerless to shame those who are powerful.” 1Corinthians 1:27.
Though the instruction or promise may sound foolish, remember God is working.
By the way, once I see the manifestation of what God promised me, I will share the full story with you 🙂
Has God promised you something and you are yet to see it? Please share your tips on staying focused and unshaken in the comments section